Frequently Asked Questions
Wish Granters, Inc. grants wishes to terminally ill adults in Ada, Canyon and Gem counties. It is our mission to grant their wish, give them something to hold onto, something to look forward to, and their loved ones lasting memories to cherish forever. Wish Granters aspires to fulfill the wishes of those in the greatest need that are unable to complete the Wish on their own.
Who qualifies for a Wish?
- To qualify for a Wish, the intended recipient that has been diagnosed with a non-age-related terminal illness, must be 18+ years old, and live in Southwest Idaho (Ada, Canyon and Gem Counties).
- Wish approval from Wish Granters is not based on household income.
- The Wish must come directly from the intended recipient and not be another individual’s Wish for the intended recipient.
- The intended recipient must be able to communicate and participate in their Wish.
- The intended recipient may only be granted one wish from Wish Granters (if a Wish has been granted from another organization we will not be able to complete a wish for you).
- The Wish is non transferable to another individual and the Wish must include the intended recipient. (Example: The intended wish recipient is not able to request a vacation for another individual as their wish where the intended recipient is not participating. Example Exception: The intended wish recipient is requesting to purchase something special as a memorable gift for a loved one and is actively involved in the process.)
Does the recipient need to be on hospice to qualify for a Wish?
- No, the recipient does not need to be on hospice to receive a Wish.
- The recipient can be actively pursuing treatment and still qualify for a Wish.
What is the application process to receive a Wish?
- The intended Wish recipient must be able to communicate their wish. If the individual is unresponsive or unconscious, Wish Granters is unable to fulfill the Wish.
- The intended Wish recipient that has been diagnosed with a non-age-related terminal illness must complete the application form to be considered for a Wish.
- The intended Wish recipient can receive assistance with completing the application form, but the Wish request must come directly from the recipient.
- The medical information form must be signed by the intended recipient and given to their treating physician for completion.
- Urgent Wish requests can be scanned and emailed to [email protected]
- Urgent requests are determined by medical necessity only and must be accompanied by the medical information form from the treating physician stating the urgency.
- Please review the limitations section of urgent requests.
How long does it take to receive a Wish?
- Due to the unique nature of each Wish, Wish Granters is unable to guarantee any timeframe for which a Wish can be fulfilled. Some Wishes can be completed within a day after the approval of the application, but others may take weeks depending on the complexity of the Wish.
- Please allow for a minimum of one week to process the application.
- Please allow for a minimum of three weeks for planning and coordinating the Wish.
- Please allow an additional three weeks to coordinate any travel Wishes.
- Please refer to the application process and limitations for Urgent or Emergency Wish request guidelines. Only urgent or emergency Wish requests will be considered for expedited processing.
Who can participate in the Wish?
- The Wish is intended for the recipient to actively participate in their Wish.
- One additional adult or caregiver can be included in the wish along with the recipient’s children under the age of 18 years old that live in the same home as the Wish recipient.
- The additional adult or caregiver does not have to be a spouse or family member.
- Additional guests can participate in the Wish, but they would be responsible for their own trip planning or any costs associated with the Wish.
- If the Wish is being fulfilled within the local community (Ada, Canyon or Gem counties) with no additional expenses, the number of people that can be included in the wish is at the discretion of Wish Granters, the recipient, and any sponsors of the Wish.
What is needed for a travel Wish?
- All travel Wishes must be approved by the wish recipient’s treating physician.
- The recipient’s or caregiver’s debit or credit card information will be required during travel wishes for incidentals at hotels, rental cars, and for any additional expenses beyond the capacity of the Wish.
- If the Wish includes a rental car: Please note that the driver’s license of the driver must match the name on the credit card used for the rental, which means that you must make the reservation and we will reimburse you for that cost. Insurance must be provided through the driver’s personal policy that covers rental vehicles or purchased with the rental agency. The driver of any rented vehicle assumes all liability for the rental car.
- Wish Granters does not assume liability for any hotel accommodations, rental properties, rental vehicles, or any other incidentals associated with the Wish. The recipient and their adult participant assume liability for all incidentals.
- Please be aware that beginning May 7, 2025 you will need a Star Card, U.S. Passport, military identification (ID), or some other form of federally accepted ID to board a flight.
What is included in a travel Wish?
- Wish Granters will cover air transportation (economy class only) for approved participants or the fuel cost for one vehicle (calculated using current gas pricing).
- When applicable: 3-day park pass for up to four people (see additional limitations).
- Wish Granters does not cover travel outside of the United States. Please refer to the wish limitations section for further information. Any limitations to the travel distance that can be accommodated for the Wish is dependent on several factors and will be at the discretion of Wish Granters.
How long can family visits last?
- If the recipient is visiting family and can stay with relatives or other accommodations can be arranged at no cost to Wish Granters, the time is limitless – Wish Granters will arrange for return travel at the time of the Wish processing.
- If the recipient has family visiting Idaho and arrangements for accommodations are available at no cost to Wish Granters, again the time is limitless – Wish Granters will arrange for return travel at the time of the Wish processing.
- If recipient’s family is visiting Idaho and hotel accommodations are needed, the limitation to hotel accommodations would be the same as a travel Wish and will be limited to three nights.
- Please review travel Wish guidelines and limitations for further information on travel arrangements.
What if the Wish includes meeting a celebrity?
- Celebrities are difficult to connect with, and there is no guarantee that a celebrity Wish would be fulfilled.
- When arrangements for a meet and greet with a celebrity is possible, it can take months of planning, and may require the recipient to travel. Please see travel Wish guidelines and limitations for further information.
What qualifies as an urgent or emergency Wish?
- Urgent requests are determined by medical necessity only and must be accompanied by the medical information form from their physician stating the urgency.
- Any travel Wishes and celebrity Wishes are unable to be granted for urgent Wish requests due to the time necessary for processing the Wish.
- Travel Wish Exception: if the urgent Wish is requesting a family member to visit the recipient in Idaho and a flight to fulfill the Wish can promptly be purchased.
Is the recipient required to participate in any media coverage of the Wish?
- No, it is not required for the recipient to participate in any media coverage.
- Occasionally Wish Granters receives requests for media coverage and Wish Granters will only contact any Wish recipient that has indicated their willingness for media coverage.
- Wish Granters does request that photos of the Wish are provided once the Wish is fulfilled. The recipient can indicate limited use of the photos provided of the Wish.
- Unless otherwise indicated, any photos received can be used on our website, social media, within our Wish photo albums, and on any other promotional materials. This assists Wish Granters in telling the stories of our Wish Granters family of recipients.
- The photos requested from the Wish are not required to include faces of the recipient or participants and can be generic photos of the Wish.
- The recipient may indicate on the application any limitations of the use of photos provided: on our website, social media, Wish albums, or marketing materials.
- The Wish details will be published on the Wish Granters website as well as on the Wish Granters social media pages regardless if photos are provided. Wish Granters only publishes the first name of the wish recipient and a pseudonym can be used if the recipient indicates this on their application.
What type of Wishes do you grant?
- The type of Wish requests that we receive are as unique as our recipients and can vary from simple comfort items to more detailed travel Wishes.
- Some of the local Wishes that have been fulfilled for example:
- 10” tablet with Alexa plus tablet cover – assists the recipient to communicate online with loved ones
- Lift chair – assists the recipient with comfort and mobility
- New mattress – comfort item
- Non-emergency transportation when necessary to attend special events or just wanting to go on a special drive outside the home
- Wishes for time wish horses (petting, grooming, or riding when mobility allows)
- Flights around the Treasure Valley
- Family night out at places such as bowling, sporting events, or family arcades
- Night out with loved ones or a family gathering – dinner provided and can include limo services or tickets to a local show
- Theme parties when unable to travel to your desired destination
Wish Granters is unable to grant the following types of wishes:
- Surprise Wishes
- Cash or Financial assistance
- Legal assistance
- Travel outside of the United States
- Vehicle purchases or restoration projects
- Major home remodeling or repairs
- Medical Treatments or Equipment
- Funeral expenses
- Moving expenses
- Hot air balloon rides
- Limitations to RV rentals
- Any wish request deemed offensive, inappropriate, or inconsistent with the values of the Wish Granters organization
- Wish Granters does not reimburse for a Wish that has already been granted.
- The recipient may only be granted one Wish from Wish Granters (if a Wish has been granted from another organization we will not be able to complete a wish for you)
- The Wish is non transferable to another individual and the Wish must include the intended recipient. (Example: the intended wish recipient is not able to request a vacation for another individual as their wish where the intended recipient is not participating.)
- Exception: the intended wish recipient is requesting to purchase something special as a memorable gift for a loved one and is actively involved in the process.
- Exception: the intended wish recipient passes before the wish can be completed, in this case Wish Granters will honor the original intent of the wish.